Friday, May 18, 2012

Todays ride.

Todays mountain bike ride was rather lengthy , I was able to knock out 16 miles at El Corte de Madera aka "Skeggs" in approximately 2 and a half hours which I believe is pretty good time considering the steep terrain .  The conditions in the single track were optimum, and the area was sparsely populated, it seems like there were only a couple riders out . During the ride at around mile 10 I made a very amateur mistake of shifting during a less than desirable time  causing me to shift hard  and slightly tweak my chain.  I could tell something had happened to my chain because there was some abnormal noise coming from my bike after the hard shift .  Just a bit further at around mile 11 my chain broke .  This happened on what is known as the resolution trail, named after a san mateo county airliner crash in 1953  http://www.weeklywalker.com/Walks%20by%20county/San%20Mateo/ElCorte_theresolution.htm   .  Luckily, I had a chain breaker tool with me and a repair link to repair the damage and I was able to ride out again with no other problems .  This incident just confirmed that carrying the proper repair equipment is essential when mountain biking especially in the area that I was in today which happens to be a remote area and  very long walk out if you cannot repair your bicycle .   Tomorrow, its off to the hangtown national motocross event !  stay tuned !


1 comment:

  1. Good thing that you had the proper equipment in hand for your broken bike chain. Best of luck for tomorrow's national motocross event!

    ReplyDelete